Brian M. Dougherty
I work hand-in-hand with my clients, and am in constant contact with them to achieve their desired results.
Brian Dougherty has been associated with Goldstine, Skrodzki, Russian, Nemec and Hoff, Ltd. since 2006 and a partner since 2016. Brian is currently responsible for handling the litigation matters for the firm's commercial landlords as well as landlord/tenant disputes. He also assists clients with matters under state and federal anti-discrimination laws, employment termination, breach of contract, the Uniform Commercial Code, trade secrets, business torts, and preference avoidance actions under the United States Bankruptcy Code.
While at the firm, Brian has litigated many complex landlord/tenant matters, including casualty insurance, accelerated rent and lienholder rights, and has counseled clients concerning their business practices based on recent developments and changes in the law. He regularly practices in Cook and DuPage Counties, as well as in federal court. Brian has successfully argued numerous pre-trial motions and also participates in settlement conferences, arbitrations and trials.
In addition to his contributions to the firm, Brian serves on the Editorial Board for the Journal of the DuPage County Bar Association. Brian has authorized and co-authorized articles published in the Journal of the DuPage County Bar Association:
- Defending Against Sexual Harassment: The Employer's Perspective (March 2018);
- The Americans with Disabilities Act: Not a Tool for the Brazen (January 2018);
- Labor and Storage Liens Under Illinois Law (February 2016);
- Proving Discrimination Circumstantially Through Pretext (May 2015);
- Erosion of the At-Will Employment Relationship: Discipline/Termination Policies and Procedures (May 2014)
- Commercial Lease Assignments: A Litigation Perspective (December 2012); and
- Judicial Estoppel: How Non-Disclosure of a Cause of Action in Bankruptcy May Spell Doom for a Subsequent Civil Action (October 2010).
Brian has also authored and co-authored "New Overtime Rule Impacts Exempt Employees" (August 2016), "Illinois Pregnancy Discrimination Law" (February 2015), "Illinois Unemployment Cases - An Overview of the Process" (March 2014), "Federal Successor Liability Under ERISA and the MPPAA" (July 2013) and "Navigating the Attorneys Fees in Wage Actions Act" (July 2011) for the Illinois State Bar Association's Labor and Employment Law Section.