Land Use and Development; Local Government
The firm's attorneys in the land use and development and local government practice areas represent real estate owners, developers and builders, including local and national clients, in all aspects of land use entitlement and economic incentive matters. Our land use and development lawyers have extensive experience working with local government planning and economic development staffs, and appearing before boards, commissions and elected officials to address business and legal issues that arise with the entitlement of land. Land use and development services include annexation and development agreements, zoning map and text amendments, planned developments, variances and special use permits, subdivisions, and building permits. Related areas of extensive experience include liquor and business licenses, all phases of tax increment financing, sales tax rebate agreements, property tax abatements and other economic incentives. We work closely with developers and consultants to quarterback the entitlement process and prepare and execute to completion a development plan and approval strategy. Our land use and development attorneys also have extensive municipal representation experience both as general counsel for units of local government and on a consulting and special project basis. Their ability to understand both an applicant's needs and an approving authority's concerns is an invaluable tool. And, our years of positive experiences have made us a very "familiar face" in many greater Chicagoland communities.
- All types of land and project entitlement approvals, including zoning and land use issues, annexation and subdivision
- Seeking economic incentives for land developments, including tax increment financing, sales tax and real estate sharing agreements
- Licensing approvals
- Regulatory compliance matters
- Commercial real estate matters related to land use and development, including purchases and sales, financing, and leasing
- Municipal representation, including special projects for villages, cities and special districts
- Eminent domain
- Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) and Women Business Enterprise (WBE) certifications
The local government entitlement approval process can be a very complex and intimidating experience. We produce results for our clients by understanding and navigating the complexities of the governmental process. Using our local government representation experience, we understand how to help you achieve your goals at the staff level and then represent and present your interests at public hearings and meetings. We use our experience to counsel our clients and their consultants on the most effective and efficient way to achieve their goals.